Monday, March 7, 2011

Boring and kind of gross........

This is a post solely for my medical journal, it is kind of boring and gross!!

Friday, Cohen had another surgery as a so called "last resort" to clear up her sinuses.  Dr Carron felt like we had exhausted all other options and the next solution would be to add windows to assist with drainage.  So off to Batson we went.  I had been kind of nervous all day/morning about it, but I thought it was because we had to wait so long to start the surgery.  But my mommy instincts were right.  Prior to performing the actual surgery, Cohwn required a CT scan to kind of serve as a "map" to do the surgery.  The portable CT was unavailable so she had to go to CT in UMC to have it done.  While there, the drs put her to sleep and then did the CT and kept her asleep to transport her back to Batson to surgery.  Bear and I got to go with her through all of this.  Well, after the CT they brought her out and I was kind of worried when they were running with her in her little crib.  One nurse was using one of those bags to perform her breathing for her.  We made it to the elevators and all hell broke loose.  Her monitors start dinging, nurses come from everywhere and just stand there while Cohen is turning purple and not breathing.  The nurse who was with us could not get the bag to inflate!!  Finally after screaming for a dr and what seemed like and eternity, she started breathing again.  It took the next 10 minutes for me to realize that I had completely frozen, words could not come out of my mouth, my feet did not move, nothing.  Finally, I looked at Bear and told him that it was the scariest moment of my whole life! 
The surgery itself went well.  The dr came out and had to change clothes because he said it was so bad in her sinuses and everybody smelled afterwards!!  The only other glitch was that her Left ear tube was being pushed out of her ear drum from the pressure the last few weeks  so they were going to replace it.  When they removed it, it had a "plug" on the end that perforated the ear drum even more and the hole was too large to place a tube.  (Doesn't that sound familiar?!?!  That is the same problem we had in May last year!) So we will wait for it to heal itself and replace it if needed. 
Overall she has recovered well.  There has been LOTS of blood, blood that I was not expecting!!  I had sinus surgery last year and I remember all the times I blew my nose.  Now I realize that a 2 year old can't do that.  Not a great time to have a white couch or white bedspreads!!

Sorry for not posting about her surgery prior to the actual event, I know we have many prayer warriors on our side and I like to keep everyone updated.  Things just have gotten kind of hectic the last few days beforehand. 

No comments: