Tuesday, October 23, 2012

A few answers to the several questions...

It is amazing to me how resilient our bodies can be.  Besides a nasty looking incision and the globs of glue they used to close it, I wouldn't know that I had surgery 4 days ago.  So far, so good.  

We have received so many phone calls, texts, and emails asking about how we are holding up and what's next (I will get to those questions too), but the number one question asked is what symptoms was I having.  Absolutely none!  I couldn't feel the nodule, nothing hurt, and I hadn't been feeling "sick."  I see my dr every 6 months for labs and every other visit she does an ultrasound.  It was just a regular routine check-up that discovered it. I can't begin say how thankful we are to have Dr Ahmad and her proactiveness.  Because I will be honest, I was ignorant to the condition.  I can tell you EVERY single lab drawn on Cohen and what her conditions entail but besides taking the medicine, I didn't know to be cautious about Hashimoto's.  Yes, PTL is very rare but there are many other issues around Hashimoto's that needs monitoring.

Next thing everyone wants to know is, what's next?  We are still waiting patiently :) for results of the biopsy and I spoke with the nurse yesterday and they are scheduling my PET/CT scans this week.  I will meet with the surgeon and Dr Elkins (heme/onc dr) next Tuesday and should have a plan in place.  She did say that treatment would not begin for 2-3 weeks after surgery to give my neck time to heal.  

Can I work?  Sadly, no :(  The environment that I work in has a very high acuity of infections and that does not mix well with my non-existent immune system.  However, to my bosses and coworkers who read this-- I WILL BE BACK!  You can't get rid of me that easily. To this point, this has been the hardest part.  I call my work, my family.  And they truly are.  My company has been very supportive of us through plenty and it hasn't stopped now.  Bear will continue to work and again his bosses have been very supportive with last minute changes in scheduling and his "office" for the day. 

How are the kids?  Kinson is my "worrier" and Cohen is my "carefree" child.  I spoke with both of their teachers last week to update them on what was to come.  They are the ones who are with our children more than us and I know they will be able to pick up on something is not right. We explained to Kinson that I had surgery on my neck and it was cool that I was getting stitches.  He knows all about stitches so he understood pretty well.  We didn't give Cohen a lot of warning because Friday was her birthday.  It broke my heart to know that we would miss it but it was a special field trip at school and I knew they would make her feel extra special.  Plus, the family members that kept them absolutely spoiled them rotten!!  Of course, they do seen the incision but they are careful and know that I can't pick them up yet.  Kinson also likes to let everyone know that I won't be working for a few weeks.  After we know more, we will decide what we want to tell them.  It is hard for me because I do not want them to think that Mama is "sick." 

What do we need?  We feel so blessed with friends and family and even those we don't know that want to do something for us.  It is hard to ask for help but we know there will be many times when we will need it. I would like for our kid's lives to not be interrupted as much as possible, so there will be plenty of times they will need rides or play dates etc.  Immediate needs, just a few prayers.  Prayers for understanding, prayers for patience, and prayers for knowledge.  We feel God's presence with us and know He is right beside us in this journey. 

I will continue to update as we know more!

1 comment:

DK Baria said...

What a wonderful post. You are so mature for such a young person. You are in our prayers, and we love you dearly. Keep us posted. DK Baria