Monday, April 1, 2013

Patience is a virtue....

and I am not sure that I possess this characteristic :)  I wish I had a real update to give but all I have is a bunch of fancy labwork, written pathology reports, and MRI results.  I am not sure how I feel about this "virtual chart" world that I am experiencing right now.  I appreciate the availability of my results especially since I am followed by so many doctors and I can print them all and bring them with me to appointments.  However, I hope doctors aren't using this as an out to actually communicate a professional interpretation.  I have emailed and phoned nurses and doctors, as they freely gave out nice handouts with who to call and email with any concerns, over the last few weeks and I have heard back a few answers, "your results are available online," "did someone ever contact you regarding your last email," and " I will see the dr tomorrow and I will call you right back."  I was forewarned that my lymphoma tests might take up to 2 weeks to get back--well thank you virtual chart, I know they have been complete for 10 days now.  
I have forwarded many of my tests to the endocrinology team at UMC and they feel that the adrenal nodule is actually more fluid based since each scan show fluctuation in size with no actual mass shown.  This is a good thing.  It will continue to be monitored by ultrasounds at UMC.  The only other endocrinology lab that was really out of whack was my Thyroglobulin levels.  Normal lab value is less than 0.9 and mine was 55.  Don't go researching it or you will think we are back at square one with Thyroid Cancer.  Thankfully that is not my case.  Elevated thyroglobulin levels can also indicate uncontrolled Hashimoto's.  At the moment my TSH and other thyroid labs are still fluctuating as the remaining quarter of my thyroid tries to do triple time the work and eventually burn itself out.  Through this we are trying to get my meds straight.  This can be a tedious process and the side effects of dosage change aren't fun so it needs to be done in small increments.  So far, I have upped my dosage twice and have tolerated the side effects okay.
Why haven't I done this with my lymphoma labs and gotten the oncology department at UMC to interpret?  I went to MD Anderson with hopes of some clarity.  I want to hear their interpretation before I have UMC interpret.  I am not saying that I don't value UMC's opinion, I do!  I have complete faith in Dr Elkins and her team.  I would like to hear Dr Fayad's impression and plan and then bring it to my team hear and see what conclusion we can come to.  I say all this with hopes that I will hear from MD Anderson soon.  
Yesterday, we celebrated Easter and I can say how I have seen the last few weeks in a new light.  I attempted very hard to keep to my giving up of complaining and besides my medical issues, it hasn't been that bad to get into good habits.  I have began to appreciate small things.  There has been a few late nights of Mario memory, dancing to Luke Bryan CD's, and just plain on cuddling.  However, I did have a special prayer for clarity and patience.  God heard me.  He knew I was beginning to question and falter. Today at work my general physician called me because she had me on her mind!  Let me also tell you, she was not working.  She had her gallbladder removed Friday and was recovering but just wanted to check in with me. I haven't seen her since September and she has changed clinics since then.  I was unsure how to get all my new info to her without making an appointment.  Well thankfully, I haven't had to make an appointment but Bear has ad he gave her the cliff notes as to what has been going on.  She had requested my UMC records and had reviewed them and felt like I was receiving superb treatment and agreed with the "gray" area.  I was able to just talk to her and she explained that something was going on at the follicular state of cellular formation and all of my labs and biopsies that have all been abnormal can be indications of 1 of 2 things-- Autoimmune process and Lymphoma.  Even though she wasn't able to clarify my diagnosis, she clarified that it is hard to interpret and nothing has been left out.  I needed to hear that today.  We have done everything, now we just wait.  

No comments: