Thursday, April 18, 2013

Leaving on a jet plane....

headed back to Houston!!  This is a late update but have been crazy busy with baseball, soccer, work, etc.  But just days after I posted to please pray that we would hear from the Drs at MD Anderson---I DID!!  Dr Fayad himself called me Friday morning to let me know that he had already scheduled for me to come back April 24/25 for some more scans and a face to face visit the next day to discuss results and plan.  Believe me, I was prepared to fight if I wasn't going to get a face time follow up visit.  I have scheduled at PET scan Wednesday morning, a CT scan that afternoon, and follow up Thursday afternoon.  It is crazy that it is such a big facility and I have to have these tests done separately because UMC has a FABULOUS state of the art CT/PET scanner combo!!
So what do we know so far?  When he called, I was down the hall with a patient and lost all train of thought but I do know that MD Anderson was able to get my cervical lymphnode from Mayo clinic and biopsy it.  Good News/Bad News-- inconclusive!!  Well not really technically inconclusive but 2 different 24 letter words that are unable to be pronounced and one means malignant and the other unsure.  Yep, even they can't determine it.  However, it did state high probability of follicular mutations and needed close follow-up.  While there, I had over 50 labs done, thanks to my virtual chart I know this :)  Several of the labs were not in normal range and he explained that because of the labs and in combination with the pathology reports, that follicular lymphoma is likely.  So he would like to rescan me next week and compare with my previous 2 scans for any changes and schedule another biopsy in May.  This biopsy will be CT guided, not sure what exactly that entails but it is on my list to ask.
So again I ask for a few specific prayers-- safe travels, fast scans (because I can't eat before any of them and my last one is at 4:00), and clarity on the next step.  The next step, as in the biopsy, is very scary for me.  My surgeon here is very cautious and I appreciate that considering my limitations and I want to ensure that I relay these same concerns to Dr Fayad.  It means so much to me that there are so many people keeping us in their thoughts and prayers.  Never did I think, I would be in this position but it has been eased with all the support.  I know I will have lots of downtime in Houston so I will be sure to update after my appointments!

No comments: