Monday, January 16, 2012

Birthday wishes...

Kinson turns 5 in just 3 short weeks!!  Can you believe it!?!  Neither can I.  As I came home early today and spent the afternoon with the kids, we addressed his party invites and talked about his ever growing list.  Things included piggy banks, fireman walkie, talkies, and the never ending list of train tracks that he does not have yet.  Later this afternoon he came to me and said he remembered one thing he wanted.  And I asked why, only half listening to the answer.  But then he mentioned "little brother."  I asked him to repeat what he said and he replied "Momma, I want a little brother that can talk to me."  It broke my heart. 
I have always complained that my kids don't get along but lately things have gotten somewhat better.  She will attempt to play with him and he doesn' kill her.  They will chase each other around the house screaming at the top of their lungs and stop and laugh.  He has even started telling her "good night" and "I love you, CoCo."  As much as Cohen has progressed, it takes a lot of patience and training to understand when she talks to you.  Yes, I said that she has started "saying" so much more, but only those closest to her actually know what she is saying.  So in Kinson's mind she still isn't "talking."  What do you say to a almost 5 year old when he asks repeatedly why can't she talk? or calls her a baby because in his mind only babies can't talk?  He understands how people are different, heck he even knows why I am different and why Cohen wear's little ears.  But those are all tangible.  He just can't grasp why she can't talk to him.  Any advice on this matter as to what to say or books to read to him would be greatly appreciated.

I stole this from a friend on FB but it really spoke to my heart. 

Mark Kelly speaking about his wife Gabby Giffords..."Most of us have contemplated what it would be like to be blind or deaf. But until Gabby was injured, I had never once considered how disabling it is to be unable to speak."

No one truly understands disabilities until you are faced head on by one......

And to answer his question, he will probably be getting a piggy bank and a nerf gun, and a DS game, and a new train but NO he will not be getting a little brother :)

No comments: