Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Family Portrait....sort of



This came home in Kinson's backpack this week.  And in case you are wondering the significance, we are a family of 4!  But to make sure what I thought in my head is the same as what Kinson drew, I asked him to tell me who is in the picture.  And I was correct--Mama, Kinson, and Papa.  He did acknowledge that he did not put Cohen in the picture but acted like it didn't matter.  I know at some point every kid thinks it would be better off being an only child and not having to share your parent's time and attention, but this really bothered me.  And I am sure this is just one of the many times we will go through the typical brother/sister relationship struggles. But I really hurt for Cohen.  Until recently, it has been hard for the 2 of them to have any relationship that had any communication involved other than Kinson telling Cohen what to do.  Well now that he understands her more, he doesn't always like what she has to say to him and that she stands up for herself!  And to him it seems like she gets to go to this extra special school (and is really is that special) and that it is so much more wonderful than where he goes because she is constantly bringing home projects and getting to dress up or bring stuff to go along with the theme for the week/month and she gets all this fun homework.  We had a long discussion about it that never really went as planned but he finally said he was mad at Cohen because she did not bring him Hershey Kisses for Valentine's (another school project that she made).  I know at that point he was just fishing for an excuse but we still talked about it.  We also talked about how his favorite 2 people in the whole world are his Uncle Robert and Uncle Bo, who just so happen to be his Mama's brothers.  He knows our relationship but I think still can't grasp that "big people" can be brothers and sisters.  But I explained to them how all through the years we have fought and played together but most importantly how much we loved and took care of each other, even as "big people."  Do I think I got anywhere we this crazy little boy?  I have no idea :)  but I am definitely making more of an effort to talk about family with him and the importance of it.

No comments: