Monday, January 17, 2011

So sad.....


I had asked you to pray for Cohen's sweet doctor, Dr. William Bastian, Saturday as I had found out he suffered a massive stroke on January 10.  I am so devastated to say that he passed away yesterday.  I am just heartbroken over this.  He was such a great advocate for our community in his fight against childhood obesity and his care for his patients.  My mom helped recruit him to Jackson a few years back never knowing that her granddaughter's care would be led by him.  When we first found out about Cohen's diagnosis we weren't given many options of local doctors who specialized in childhood hypothyroidism.  My mom just raved about him and after our first visit, we understood why.  He was upfront but caring, thorough and aggressive.  We waited hours to see him at times but after your visit with him we understood why.  He spent whatever amount of time it took to answer any questions and offer any new advice.  Cohen loved him and she always made him measure her and threw a fit if the nurses attempted to :)  We will be forever grateful for his care with Cohen and give him so much credit for the strives she has made due to his early diagnosis.  He will be truly missed by many of his patients and collegues.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My daughter haley has been a patient of his for over 2 years. We are very upset and very scared we will not find anyone to help us like dr bastian has. I have heard we will be referred to the doctors at the university. I have seen them before and were not please. They seem to think haley was just over eating. Please let me know if you hear of anyone that is great with obesity like dr bastian or if you find a doctor we can go to. I am searching now but it looks like we may have to travel out of state. My name is kayla phillips. My email is kaylabug4@hotmail.com I would greatly appreciate it if you would let me know if you find another doctor like him. But no one will ever take his place. Thanks so much kayla